Monday, June 7, 2010

the party to end all parties...

My son turned two on the weekend. TWO! My, how time flies... and we, like the gullible parents we are, decided to throw a party, a hoedown, if you will. Or maybe just a SUGAR-FEST. Yes, we had fairy-bread. We also had a gigantic Bob-the-Builder cake, and an OBSCENE amount of presents.

I even bought a rocket-ship pinata, but am very glad that we decided to forego this little treat because the idea of the gorgeous little munchkins all hyped-up on sugar, blindfolded and running around with sticks trying to bash things was probably not a good idea. We'll save that for the next time we ever decide to hold a party for our kids. Maybe we'll save it for when they get married. Yes, that sounds like a good idea. all I can really say at this stage is...

I AM EXHAUSTED. (so what's new?)


I tried to take photos and managed a few of the cake, but I was too busy burning the spinach and ricotta triangles, stepping over what felt like millions of children and generally trying to keep myself out of the state of party-panic that I was in. My son? I think he had a good time. I didn't really see him. He could have been sneaking shots of whisky down the side of the house for all I know. I do remember at one stage saying to someone who had asked for a 'job' to 'just make sure he's ok... that's your job.'


and GODDAMIT! To the family whose kids were generally rude, overbearing, poking my son's cake and who complained about, well... EVERYTHING, and who ran amok and who, at the end of the party asked if there were any lolly-bags, (LOLLY-BAGS! I am getting old. You didn't ask for things at parties, you went, you ate, you played, had a good time and behaved yourself, but you didn't ask for LOLLY BAGS! I'll give you lolly-bags you little...)
Deep breath...
Yes, to that family. I cannot wait until there is a party at YOUR house, because I am going to HAVE A GOOD AND COMPLETELY OBNOXIOUS TIME.
another deeeeeeeeeep breath.

Parties when I was a kid just weren't like that.
Maybe they were? I don't know. I can't remember. I am too old. My neck has started to sag. I've seen photos of it - it's true.

However, all ranting aside, it went off! My son had a great time and I got to see friends I haven't seen in years.
Next time (assuming there is a next time, I may have done my dash) I think I'll just stick with the chip-n-dip and say 'to hell with the spinach and cheese triangles and mini-sushi'

oh... yep. indeedy-doody. oh yes. uh-huh.

2 comments:

  1. Well done on surviving to tell the story :) Love it! And congrats on bringing up such a beautiful little boy who is no longer a baby xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was out the side of the house with Curtis. I only gave him a NIP of Scotch. You know, it was his birthday and all. I can't wait till he hits 5 and is ready for Vodka! ;-P

    ReplyDelete